Laken Detchemendy serves as the Interim Director of Clinical Faculty for Urban Teachers in Washington, D.C. She has worked with Urban Teachers, first as a Clinical Faculty Member in literacy and then as a Lead Clinical Faculty member, since 2015. Previously, she served as an instructional facilitator and English and language arts teacher at Neal Magnet Middle School in Durham, N.C.
She received her Master of Education with highest honors from Meredith College. Her experiences in the classroom shaped her passion for training the next generation of teachers. She is passionate about equipping new teachers not only with content knowledge, but grit, resilience, adaptability, and, most of all, compassion.
• Meredith College, Master of Education
• Virginia Polytechnic Institute State University, Bachelor of Arts
• Lead Clinical Faculty, Urban Teachers, Washington, D.C. 2017-present
• Clinical Faculty, Urban Teachers, Washington, D.C., 2015-17
Other professional positions
• Instructional Facilitator, RTI Coordinator, Neal Magnet Middle School, Durham Public Schools, 2013-15
• Literacy Consultant, Education Resource Group of Winston-Salem, NC, 2014-15
• English Language Arts Teacher, Neal Magnet Middle School, Durham Public Schools, 2011-2013
• First-grade teacher, Francis Scott Key Elementary, District Heights, MD, 2009-10