Dionn Brown was recently named Director of Coaching for Urban Teachers, where she is primed to continue the development and expansion work of a robust coaching program. Previously, she served as Director of S.T.E.M Initiatives, managing a multi-year effort to strengthen the visibility and viability of the secondary mathematics program of study and to develop mathematics and STEM courses for the elementary education program of study.
Before joining Urban Teachers, she spent six years working in K-8 science and secondary mathematics educational specialist roles with Baltimore City Public Schools. Born and raised in Jamaica, Brown moved to the United States to attend Howard University, where she earned a bachelors in health sciences and management. While at Howard University, she began working with Jumpstart, an Americorps program that places undergraduates in preschool centers to work with young children around literacy. She fell in love with teaching and, after graduation, joined Teach for America in Eastern North Carolina where she taught 4th-grade mathematics and science.
After completing the Teach for America program, she continued to teach and coach teachers in public schools in Washington, D.C. and later in Baltimore, MD where she earned a masters in secondary education from Towson University. These diverse experiences reinforced the importance of teacher support and development for increasing student achievement. In her new role, she intends to ensure that Urban Teachers participants receive the highest quality training and learning.
• Towson University, Towson, Maryland, Master of Education, Secondary Education, 2009
• Howard University, Washington, D.C., Bachelor of Science, Health Sciences and Management, 2001
• Director of Coaching, Urban Teachers, 2018-present
• Director of S.T.E.M Initiatives, Urban Teachers, 2011-17
• Adjunct Professor, Lesley University, School of Education, Cambridge, Mass., 2011-12
Other professional positions
• ACE observer, TNTP, Baltimore, MD, 2014-15
• Academic Liaison, School Support Networks, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2009-11
• Academic Specialist I &II, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2006-09
• Vice Chair, Alumni Council, Teach for America– Baltimore, 2015-2016
• S.T.E.M Liaison, Board of Directors, Baltimore International Academy, 2015-present
• AmeriCorps Volunteer, Jumpstart D.C. and Teach for America, 1998-2003