Caitlin Gosnell is a Clinical Faculty Member in special education for Urban Teachers Baltimore. Her interests include social-emotional teaching and learning, teacher stress and coping, comprehensive classroom management and Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports. She recently completed the requirements for a doctorate from the Johns Hopkins University School of Education. Her dissertation focused on the role of mindfulness and social-emotional learning in a special education setting.
She also holds a masters of arts in teaching with a focus in special education from Goucher College. She was a founding faculty member at The Auburn School in Baltimore and later served as the school’s dean of students and social learning specialist. She previously served as a special education teacher at the Forbush School, a division of the Sheppard Pratt Health System. As a Clinical Faculty Member, she currently teaches urban teachers the principles of formal assessment, individualized education plans, and understanding and managing behavior. In both teaching and coaching, she works with teachers to incorporate social-emotional learning, multi-sensory techniques, and other approaches to make the classroom more engaging for all students.
• Johns Hopkins University, Doctorate in Education, Special Education, 2018
• Dissertation: “An Evaluation of a Mindfulness Curriculum on Teacher Outcomes in a Nonpublic Special Education Setting”
• Goucher College, Master of Arts in Teaching, Special Education, 2011
• Shepherd University, Bachelor of Arts, 2009
• Johns Hopkins University, School of Education, Urban Teachers Clinical Faculty Member, 2018- present
• Loyola University, School of Education, Affiliate Faculty, 2017
• Johns Hopkins University, School of Education, Teaching Assistant, 2015-2017
• Loyola University, Mentor teacher, 2015-16
Other professional positions
• The Auburn School, Dean of Students and Social Learning Specialist, 2015-17
• The Auburn School, founding teacher, 2011-15
• The Forbush School, Sheppard Pratt Health System, Special Education teacher, 2010-11
• The Forbush School, Sheppard Pratt Health System, teaching assistant, 2009-10
• Formal Assessment and Individualized Education Plans
• Understanding and Managing Behavior
• Comprehensive Classroom Management
Research, Publications, Presentations
• Stewart, N., Gosnell, C., & Cofield, T. (2013, March). Social Thinking and Learning in Schools. Presentation at Honestly Autism Day. Towson, MD.
• Gosnell, C., Cofield, T., Hoffman, M. (2012, October). Socializing your Child: It CAN Happen in School. Presentation at The Howard County Asperger’s Syndrome Parent Support Group. Columbia, MD.