Amber Glaros is director of clinical faculty for Urban Teachers in Baltimore, a role in which she supervises all coursework and coaching. She ensures that all aspects of the program fulfill Urban Teachers’ mission of preparing highly qualified teachers who are committed to ensuring educational equity in Baltimore City Schools. She brings two decades of experience in urban schools to her position, having served as an assistant principal, reading interventionist and instructional support teacher, among other roles. She spent several years working in the office of literacy in the Baltimore City School’s central office and served in many roles in Baltimore City Teaching Residency.
Before joining the Urban Teachers team, she returned to the classroom for a year, becoming familiar with the Common Core curriculum, and the current testing climate. She holds a master’s in education from the Johns Hopkins University and a bachelor degree from Skidmore College.
• George Mason University, Graduate Continuing Education Coursework, 2010-11
• The Johns Hopkins University, Master of Science in Education, 2004-06
o Aspiring Leaders Program- Graduate Certificate in School Administration & Supervision.
o Effective Teaching of Reading- Graduate Certificate in Reading Curriculum & Instruction
• State University of New York at Albany, Graduate Coursework in Reading Education, 1997-2000
• Skidmore College, Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies, Elementary Education, 1997
• Johns Hopkins University, School of Education, Urban Teachers, Baltimore, Director of Clinical Faculty, 2015-present
• Lead Literacy Seminar Instructor, Baltimore City Teaching Residency, The New Teacher Project, 2010-14
Other professional positions
• Middle School English/ Language Arts Teacher, Violetville Elementary/ Middle School, Baltimore, 2013-14
• ACE Observer, Baltimore City Teaching Residency, The New Teacher Project, 2011-12
• Observation Specialist/ Effectiveness Coach, Baltimore City Teaching Residency, 2011-13
• Reading Teacher Leader/ Facilitator, Baltimore City Public Schools, Office of Teaching and Learning, Office of Literacy, 2007-13
• Assistant Principal/ Instructional Support Teacher, Holabird Academy, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2008-10
• Reading Interventionist/ Literacy Coach, Holabird Academy, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2007-08
• Reading Resource Teacher, Glenmount Elementary/ Middle School, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2004-06
• Teacher, Glenmount Elementary/ Middle School, Baltimore City Public Schools, 2002-04
• Assistant Principal, Teacher, St. John’s Christian Day School, Baltimore, 1998-2001